Forgot Password

Sign In

Register

  • Company Information

  • Billing Address

  • Are you primarily interested in advertising *

  • Do you want to recieve the HealthTimes Newsletter?

  • Medicare co-payment axed: Ley

    Author: AAP

The Medicare co-payment has been scrapped almost a year after it was first mooted.

The federal government has scrapped its unpopular plan for a GP co-payment, Health Minister Sussan Ley has confirmed.

Subscribe for FREE to the HealthTimes magazine



"It is clear the proposal for a co-payment and associated $5 cut to the rebate do not have broad support and will not proceed," Ms Ley told reporters in Canberra.

"We recognise that we cannot introduce reforms to build a strong, sustainable Medicare without the support from the public and the parliament."

Ms Ley said her consultations with medical professionals and the public over the past six weeks convinced her the co-payment plan could not proceed.

FEATURED JOBS

Chief Executive Officer
Alexandra District Health
Sonographer Tutor
Frontline Health Brisbane


But she says the government is still committed to protecting Medicare for the long-term.

She will continue to consult on short, medium and long-term policy options.

"We haven't arrived at a final position but I am well and truly framed by the economic considerations," she said.

"We will never walk away from that economic responsibility."

Ms Ley says she remains 100 per cent committed to the government's plan for a medical research future fund.

Federal cabinet signed off on the decision to dump the co-payment on Monday. The decision was taken to the coalition party room earlier on Tuesday.

Comments

Thanks, you've subscribed!

Share this free subscription offer with your friends

Email to a Friend


  • Remaining Characters: 500